Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What the hell is this WGA trying to do?

That day I tried to browse using Firefox with my laptop, then my F-Secure Client Security popped up this alert on an unauthorized attempt to connect some site. After reading the alert, I was puzzled, it said that WgaTray.exe was trying to act as an Internet Server, WGA, which is the short form for Microsoft's notorious Windows Genuine Advantage. No doubt my laptop is using an original, genuine, licensed, whatever you call it, copy of Windows XP Professional Edition. So I'm not getting this due to what piracy issue, or anything related to it.


First, I was trying to access Maybank2u.com.


Then I tried Google. Notice Maybank2u.com went timeout when I chose to deny its access.


Same goes with Dictionary.com.


YouTube anyone? Dictionary timed out too after I clicked Deny.



And finally it showed me this,
it's an UDP protocol, notice the IP address, Any IP address?! You gotta be kidding...

The i
nteresting part is, which ever site I tried to browse using Firefox, WgaTray.exe will try to connect that site too. If I choose allow, it will load the site, if I clicked deny, the page will eventually went timed out, what the? WGA prevents Firefox to access internet in this case? At first I thought those sites has what affiliation with Microsoft, which to help them verify the genuineness of the user's copy of Windows, but soon I gave up that idea, because when I tried to browse the same site with Internet Explorer, nothing happens. I didn't get any alert from my client security, and the site loaded perfectly. This is indeed strange...


It works like wonder when using IE!


Time for some video... Eerrr.. with IE? No way!


What the
hell is this WGA trying to achieve here? I googled around, but couldn't find any info on this, perhaps my well known poor searching skill failed to obtain any result... So any experts out there has any idea?

I have auto update turned on, and Windows will automatically install what ever updates for me, who knows what the hell it installed for me that causing this! Dang!

3 comments:

Voon Chean, 文铨 said...

what if u check "Do not show this dialog for this application again" ? Then it will not ask again lor.

Voon Chean, 文铨 said...

or maybe remove wgatray.exe from ur comp...

y@n said...

Format your computer. 干手净脚.