Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Queen of Fruits is in the town!

I don't know about your place, but here, we call Durian, the King of Fruits. And the Queen? Mangosteen! It's one of my favorite fruit!


3KG for RM10, around 30 mangosteens inside.

This morning, on the way for breakfast at the bazaar with mum, saw bags of mangosteen hanging by the fruit stall, and it immediately catches my eyes!


The white and juicy flesh!

RM10 for 3KG, standard price I guess, probably can get cheaper elsewhere, but I just can't resist it, and eventually bought a bag.


Oh, over ripen? Starting to have yellowish flesh...

The verdict? For me, I think 3 out of 5, that's average. There are around 30 mangosteens in the bag. After tasted severals, some of them were sweet and juicy, while others were a bit sour, and there were also some with hard flesh, probably not fully ripen yet. Nonetheless, I still get quite a satisfaction out of it.


Oh yeah! It's mine, all mine!

Share a little fact with you guys, if you have eaten a mangosteen before, probably you have heard this from your elders or friends. Extracted from Wikipedia:


The number of aril pods is directly related to the number of petals on the bottom of the pericarp.

That means if there are 5 petals at the bottom of a mangosteen, you should find also 5 pieces of flesh inside. Prove? Here you go:


5 petals!



5 fleshes (or arils)! Sorry for the deformed flesh, I peeled it instead of using a knife to cut it open.

I'm going to get some mangosteen again! Yummy!

5 comments:

spongemood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spongemood said...

Oh my gosh, I really miss eating it .. When I come back on my next trip, I shall eat Mangosteen, Rambutan, Nangka, Cempedak and Ciku everyday. Freaking damn expensive here leh .. For more than MYR10++ you only get like "9 biji rambutan". Blady hell !

y@n said...

We shall organize a fruity trip next time Joell/The King/CK come back.

Token said...

When our local stuffs go abroad, their price sure jump sky high...

Just hold your horses, wait till you come back and blow up your stomach with them later loh... hahaha!

Now that you've mentioned rambutan, I will get some too when I see them, it's as tasty as mangosteen, and you can eat them non-stop all night long... kekeke!

spongemood said...

Freak, I am drooling for our local food and fruits ... as of now, I sorta hate chinese food here .. ahah .. don't know why ..