Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The traffic jam curse

What people usually do when they are in a hurry, but trapped in a traffic jam?
  1. Use the emergency lane (A proud Malaysian heritage!)
  2. Keep on honking so that the vehicle in front, and every other 100+ more ahead will move faster, brilliant! (Another proud Malaysian habit!)
  3. Choose the faster moving lane, cut left and right (I guess this is the typical solution)
This is the story of me using the typical solution, choosing the faster lane to queue while trapped in a traffic jam.

I can't help to think that there's a traffic jam curse casted on me. What say so? Apparently, whenever I encounter a traffic jam, if I tried to cut between lanes and choose the faster moving side, usually ends up where the chosen one becomes the slowest moving lane... It happens so frequent until I started to notice this strange phenomenon! I always tell myself I have made a mistake or take the action too late, and other cars already jam up that lane. But frankly, this strange behavior sometimes really makes me think twice before making the decision to switch lane.

So, am I being paranoid or I'm just lack of experience of choosing the right lane, or it just plain damn bad luck?

5 comments:

JET said...

I just to choose optional 3 too.
However, realize 1 thing is tht. Ppl is doing the same thing as me too.
When notice the next lane is faster, all moved there.. so to right...

Therefore, I would suggest...
1) Familiar with the status of the road. Determine the lane tht usually faster.
2) Keep on the lane. You will found that... Hey, y this sohai car was suppose in front of me, cutting here and there, but turn out behind me liao ah.....

Voon Chean, 文铨 said...

I agree with Jet and I think cutting left and right is very wrong. Actually just stick to one lane (usually middle), is better than you cut left or right, which is dangerous and annoying to other drivers. Imagine when a car is doing that in front of u, the word likely to come out is "sohai!".

JET said...

hahahhaa.a.a..
but some times when Chean fetch me home, i didnt think of myself.
"Hey chean, y kept this lane? Y follow this front car drive so slow? Ooi.... cut him la... hey take tht lane la... :p"

However, safety come 1st.
Else we wont b able to 'blow water' here ;)
Cheers...

Token said...

Frankly, I seldom do that. Just that whenever I try to do that, which usually due to in a hurry, I ended up in that situation.

Not all route has 3 lanes, for example, Jalan Loke Yew has 2 lanes only. So sometimes you left only 2 choices, left or right, fast or slow, and the mentioned happens quite often in this situation! Hahaha!

But even after all these years of traffic jam nightmare experience, sometimes I still can't figure out why all these strange phenomenons, and why it happens for no reason...

y@n said...

I wont do that. Coz my mum's 1st & 2nd sons car pool to work together. Can't affort to take the risk.